Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Playing Pilgrim

 


I mentioned yesterday that the kids pretended they were Pilgrims and Indians all day.  Well... when it was time to "come to school," Ashley showed up wearing her pilgrim attire!  She is really into it, apparently!  I am loving it!  Before that, I told them it was time to eat breakfast, only to turn around and see Adam eating a leftover cheeseburger right from the refrigerator... not reheated or anything!  I cracked up!  Not only did it sound gross, but why a cold cheeseburger... who would come up with such an idea for breakfast???  He was almost done, so I let him finish it, but directed the girls to a more ideal breakfast to which they chose a bowl of cereal!  So, we had school and it was mainly reviewing and advancing.  In the afternoon Ashley spent a long time on her art project that we will all finish tomorrow, creating little Pilgrims and Indians... while Adam spent extra time outside.  Anna was not in the mood to write a book report in the morning, but I was firm and made her do it, so she spent time doing that in the afternoon.  The girls also helped me thin out their closet, again!  I swear Anna grew overnight!  I have heard people say that, but I have never experienced it until now, at age 9!  I remember googling "growing pains" a couple of weeks ago, and reporting to her that the aches she was complaining about sounded just like growing pains, which is what I had been telling her.  Then suddenly all her jeans are too short, her shirts are too small, her fleece doesn't fit... but two weeks ago they all fit fine!  So I had to "inventory" her wardrobe, only to find out she now has very little!  This meant Ashley gained a ton of clothes, so she had to thin out her closet even more, even though some of it still fits her... just to make room in the closet!  Allison was a much happier baby today for the most part... and I am glad to report that she did take a morning and an afternoon nap!  Phew!!  There was a little excitement in the neighborhood this afternoon.  Adam very calmly came into the kitchen to me and reported that someone in the neighborhood was hurt very badly.  I asked him how he knew that... to which he informed me there was an ambulance parked in a driveway a few doors down, with a police car out front.  Although we watched like nosey neighbors, from inside our house of course, we have nothing to report.  While we were gaping, I noticed the pumpkins on my front porch had really been getting chewed up by the squirrels... this didn't happen in Minnesota, but we were warned by our neighbors, and sure enough!  Then, Ashley and Adam decided we needed dessert after dinner tonight, so they created their own baked good... they melted a hershey bar in the microwave, divided it out onto parchment paper, then chilled.  Once hardened, they frosted and sprinkeld their creation.  Never a dull moment!!!