Monday, April 15, 2013

Robin Pastels



We spent the school day learning about Washington DC and all the things we will be doing on our trip.  The kids and I went over the list of weblinks I compiled... and they did a great job going through it all and staying focused!  It was a ton of information thrown at them.  I wanted to dish it all out, then let them read the books I have for them over the week... that way they'll have somewhat of an overview and understanding as they read on their own and be fairly prepared by the time we get there.  For art we worked with oil pastel, making full paintings rather than just accents using oil pastel.  We sketched a robin... a great sign of spring!  Then... painted it, painted the foreground fence, and painted the background hills and sky using several shades of oil pastels and blending them for maximum effect.  The "paint" here is the oil pastel.  Apparently it is called painting.  I think this lesson was a bit high for Adam, but he did a great job using several colors and blending... and I think Anna and Ashley also did a great job with that plus shadowing!  I had to dive in and give it a try... it is actually a lot of fun, but it does take a lot to build up the oil pastels to a point where they smear together easily like paint.  Anyway... they are so cute and I am glad we did this lesson!  After that, we headed off to softball practice for Ashley.  I met another mom who homeschools!  Ashley and her daughter hit it off at Saturday's practice and couldn't wait to see each other today... so we'll see where this goes!


Anna's, Ashley's, Adam's then mine.