We had a dental appointment bright and early for Anna who needed sealant on her molars. When we returned, before all the baking and crafting fun could begin, we cleaned the house since it got out of control over the weekend. We then started our holiday baking.... starting with candy cane twists. The kids liked the idea, but we found it is actually quite difficult to do the twisting of the two strands together. It is fun to see the different personalities in my kids with things like this... Adam decided he was able to make all the "snakes" of dough, but he did not like the idea of twisting them, so he wanted my help on each one. Anna was frustrated with the twisting but did what she called "a good enough job" and moved on to do more and more. Ashley was also frustrated with the twisting but would only accept perfection of the twist... so she wanted my help yet she wanted to do it herself. Soooo... through a slow and lengthy process of helping each kid through the frustration, we got them all twisted, baked and in the freezer for Christmas. We also made a bunch more yarn balls for our tree ornaments. I am loving how the tree looks. It is so cute! We left all our other ornaments back home, so I said I was going to make everything "home made" this year. I also got new stockings... I went with the homemade look there as well... but I did not knit the stockings myself! It's so funny to watch the kids dancing around the tree singing, "Who loves Christmas, Whos love Christmas!"... after seeing the musical a few weeks ago, it's fresh in their minds! Allison likes to peek through her car seat cover when she should be sleeping under there... she's getting too old to have her take her naps in the car seat, but I keep trying!
Monday, December 10, 2012
Christmas Cookies
We had a dental appointment bright and early for Anna who needed sealant on her molars. When we returned, before all the baking and crafting fun could begin, we cleaned the house since it got out of control over the weekend. We then started our holiday baking.... starting with candy cane twists. The kids liked the idea, but we found it is actually quite difficult to do the twisting of the two strands together. It is fun to see the different personalities in my kids with things like this... Adam decided he was able to make all the "snakes" of dough, but he did not like the idea of twisting them, so he wanted my help on each one. Anna was frustrated with the twisting but did what she called "a good enough job" and moved on to do more and more. Ashley was also frustrated with the twisting but would only accept perfection of the twist... so she wanted my help yet she wanted to do it herself. Soooo... through a slow and lengthy process of helping each kid through the frustration, we got them all twisted, baked and in the freezer for Christmas. We also made a bunch more yarn balls for our tree ornaments. I am loving how the tree looks. It is so cute! We left all our other ornaments back home, so I said I was going to make everything "home made" this year. I also got new stockings... I went with the homemade look there as well... but I did not knit the stockings myself! It's so funny to watch the kids dancing around the tree singing, "Who loves Christmas, Whos love Christmas!"... after seeing the musical a few weeks ago, it's fresh in their minds! Allison likes to peek through her car seat cover when she should be sleeping under there... she's getting too old to have her take her naps in the car seat, but I keep trying!