Monday, September 17, 2012

Skating Sisters

 

Today we started a new unit... we finished up manners last week and started US Geography this week.  All the kids seemed interested in the topic so I decided to run with it.  I used the book Adam has been studying at bedtime, the National Geographic Beginner's United States Atlas.  I knew it struck a chord with him when I heard him reading in bed repeating the stuff I had spoke about during the day. I don't expect him to learn the entire book but if I can keep them interested in geography I will be very happy... coming from me, who loves to travel!  It was a show and tell day as well.  All three kids were once again proud of what they shared and did a nice job explaining to the group the details of their items.  Adam brought his motorcycles, Ashley brought her Ivy + Bean paper dolls and Anna brought her First Communion pottery.  We also started to talk about apples.  I read them a story about apples, showed them real live red, yellow and green apples, and introduced our  apple art project for the week.  We will taste-test the real apples on Friday.  The girls had skating this evening... here's a picture of them at practice.  We had dinner when we got home... leftover pizza from the weekend.  I didn't know if it was a good thing or not when Adam asked, "why don't we have broccoli or carrots or something to go with our pizza?"  The girls agreed and all three, on their own, agreed on broccoli and begged me to make some.  So I did.  They all ate all of their broccoli.  I am still amazed at how the whole thing went down!  Maybe I shouldn't serve any sides next time I make a meal... until they request it.  Then I know they will eat it!  Allison had a good day.  She took two two-hour naps rather than the hour and a half naps she usually takes.  She spent a good part of her time awake continuing to explore the house.  She pulls herself up the the lower cabinets in the kitchen and plays with the knobs to try to open the door... and managed to figure out the one-step step down into the living room.  She goes up it now!  Even though she is getting busier, she is still so much fun to have around!  Her smile melts a heart!